When you think of the state of Utah, many people think of it’s sprawling climate conducive to hiking, skiing and otherwise enjoying the great outdoors. Outdoor recreation is at the heart of the city of Ogen.
That’s why the city of Ogden has teamed up with GrowUtah, a non profit supporting startups in the state, to form a new accelerator totally focused on outdoor recreation. The new accelerator goes by the name LIFT and their striving to elevate Utah’s outdoor innovation.
The 8 week accelerator program is offering mentorship from industry experts along with $15,000 in launch capital that isn’t equity.
The application page doesn’t say how many outdoor startups they will take, and applications are due by January 15, 2017.
The accelerator highlights include:
- 8 week accelerator exclusively focused on outdoor and active lifestyle innovators.
- $15k of launch capital awarded without requiring any equity in your company! (A very low-interest loan from Ogden City that only needs to be repaid if you reach $250K revenue. Some restrictions. Loan is not required to participate in accelerator.)
- Training in the latest “Lean Launch” practices of starting a business
- A starting place in Ogden City– the center of Utah’s outdoor industry and the gateway to Utah’s great adventures.
- Mentoring from Utah’s best outdoor industry experts
- Prototyping and manufacturing expertise and services
- Market testing in the rigorous Utah backyard where passionate enthusiasts test your products
It looks like the accelerator is open only to entrepreneurs in the state of Utah, in hopes that they will build companies that will increase the economic development in Utah.