There is no question that there is a huge gap in programming jobs and programming instruction. Just take a look at the image above. The demand for programmers is at an all time high. The supply of good programmers, though growing, is now where near able to keep up with this demand. That said, there are several coding initiatives popping up all over the place.
Awesome Inc. leading the charge in Lexington, KY. Awesome Inc. is at the epicenter of the entrepreneurial ecosystem in Lexington. Awesome Inc. is a combination startup accelerator/co-working space/code school. The coding programs are quite noteworthy. Awesome Inc. has two different educational tracks:
The second track is the Awesome Inc. Academy. The Academy, also geared towards kids, is a more in-depth, more intensive 15-week program. The Academy is described as such:
- Targeted towards middle school and high school students
- 15-week program, 2 nights per week, plus weekend activities
- Make your own Apps, Games and Websites
- Learn principles of computer science
- Includes showcase in October & contest in December2
It is great to see all of these coding programs popping up all over the U.S. Be on the lookout, we will be covering this topic in-depth as the weeks go on.