Inventors Hall Of Fame Offers Camp Invention For K-6th Graders
When our nine year old edtech reporter was four years old her show, like many other kids, was Phineas and Ferb. She didn’t want to be Finny and she didn’t want to be Ferb. She didn’t even want to be Candice. She wanted to be Dr. Tatumschmirtz. Her much obliged parents got her a lab coat with her name on it (Dr. Tatumschmirtz) for Christmas. Her Mimi got her a “shrinking machine” (A shrinky dinks machine) and everyone got her little bits kits, science sets and other goo. One of her favorite past times is making slime or goop with her Mimi and her uncle.
So when she passed by the National Inventor’s Hall of Fame booth at South By Southwest she instantly joined the fun. They were making slime with glitter in it, flying paper airplanes, and launching cotton balls in the sky. All in a days work they told us as they explained Camp Invention.
“Camp Invention is one week in the summer where your child’s creativity, innovation, and problem-solving skills are challenged and developed in fun and exciting ways. Our top priority is to inspire future innovators and build their confidence in the natural ability to dream and create.” they say on their website campinvention.org.
Kids in the program, in grades K-6 explore the far reaches of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math) by getting downright dirty and turning every day items into laser blasters, vehicles, rockets and more.
A typical day at Camp Invention looks like this:
- Warm Welcome – Check your child in before our Camp Director kicks off a day of fun!
- Team Work makes the Dream Work – Campers gather with other young inventors in the making at Base Camp, as they meet with our Leadership Interns.
- Mind-full Mornings – Led by a certified local instructor, your child completes two creative challenges (or modules) before lunch — with a healthy snack to keep their minds moving.
- Lunch Break – While half our campers eat, the other half refuel with some well-deserved playtime outside or in the gym. Then they switch!
- Amazing Afternoon – Time for two more challenging modules that will inspire your child’s imagination.
- Report Back to Base Camp – Our campers regroup with their Leadership Interns to focus on problem-solving — crucial for future inventing (and everyday life).
- Sign Out – Be prepared for lots of updates from your child about how much fun they had at Camp Invention!
If you think your kid would love to experience Camp Invention check out our video above and head over to campinvention.org