While some consider the entire SXSW Interactive festival to be about startups, over the past few years The Kauffman Foundation and UpGlobal have sat at the Epicenter of startup activities during the interactive portion of the festival. For the first few years it was as part of the Startup America Lounge, and the past two years it’s been as UpGlobal.
Earlier this week both organizations announced their official SXSW startup schedule. The collective track is called “Startup Oasis” and the bulk of their activities, events, panels and office hours will happen at the Old School Bar & Grill from Saturday March 14th through Monday March 16th.
- Pitch Like a Unicorn, 3/14 – 12:00 p.m.: Pitching your product can be a daunting and intimidating task for many entrepreneurs. To help take some of the mystery out of this process, EY will present a team of veteran entrepreneurs who will share tips and tricks that theyve learned when approaching investors.
- Nasdaq Meetup, 3/14 – 2:30 p.m.: Join Nasdaq for an interesting conversation on the trials and tribulations of entrepreneurship, featuring a Q&A moderated by Politicos Bennett Richardson with members of the Freshman IPO class who will talk about the process of taking their company public.
- Oasis Startup Party, 3/14 – 10 p.m.: Showcasing 10 young companies, this event creates a perfect atmosphere for these startups to present their products or ideas and network with hundreds of potential customers.
- Office Hours, 3/15 – 2 p.m. and 3/16 – 3 p.m.: Top advisers across the business world provide one-on-one mentoring for startups.
- 1 Million Cups Organizer Gathering, 3/15 – 4 p.m.: Kauffman Foundations 1 Million Cups program has engaged entrepreneurs all over the country. Organizers of past 1 Million Cups events are invited to attend this gathering to exchange ideas on the best ways to improve and continue to grow this program.
- Off the Grid A Party Without Phones, 3/15 – 10 p.m.: Attendees will have to check their phones at the door and interact with their fellow partygoers. This represents a great networking opportunity without any of those annoying technological distractions.
- General Assembly How to Get Your First 5,000 Users, 3/16 – Noon: One of the largest obstacles that any new consumer-based company faces is attracting customers. This event will provide easy, everyday tips from the founders of successful startups on the best ways to build a user community and accelerate growth.
- Kauffman Research Presents: Four Insights for the Fastest-Growing Companies, 3/16 – Noon: Contrary to what some believe, all great startups do not originate in Silicon Valley and raise massive amounts of venture capital. This panel discussion, featuring researchers from the Kauffman Foundation, will provide tips on how companies outside of stereotypical startup hubs can find success.
- Kauffman Research Presents: Quantified Entrepreneurship, 3/16 – 2 p.m.: How many startups are there in your city? How much money are entrepreneurs raising in your ecosystem? How many jobs do local startups contribute to your economy? This event will teach attendees how they can find the answers to these important questions and how to leverage them to create a better entrepreneurial environment.
- The Launch Party: A Kansas City Startup Community Celebration, 3/16 – 6 p.m.: Come celebrate the beginning of the Launch KC Grant Competition. This competition is open to any startup across the globe and is designed to provide vital grant funding to focused, well-rounded companies with thoughtful ideas.