New Orleans Incubator, Propeller, Awards $10,000 To New Orleans Social Startups In Live Pitch Contest
Social and civic focused startups in New Orleans joined local incubator, Propeller, for a pitch event last Wednesday. Propeller is a non profit organization that’s been helping entrepreneurs launch social ventures in New Orleans since 2009. Propeller’s PitchNOLA Living Well pitch competition featured 10 entrepreneurs competing for their part in $10,000 in prize money.
The contest is aimed to support startups and entrepreneurs that are helping with some of New Orlean’s biggest challenges, which include:
- 31.9% of LA adults are physically inactive , less than 25% consume at least 5+ servings of fruits & vegetables per day .
- 12% of New Orleans newborns are born at low birthweight, with state-wide 12% black and 6.2% white infant mortality rate.
- 33.1% of the population of Louisiana is obese, nearly 4 percentage points higher than the national average. 74.3% of adult black residents are obese compared to 67.2% of white residents .
- The adult cancer mortality rate in Louisiana is 1.27 times higher for black residents compared to white residents.
- 20% of New Orleans residents are uninsured, 9 percentage points higher than the top performing U.S. counties.
- The life expectancy gap between the city’s most affluent and most disadvantaged neighborhoods is 25 years .
Here are the winners:
The FIT Clinic, provides medical, behavioral and social care to former inmates. It helps reduce recidivism and assists with prisoner’s re-entry. The clinic was founded by Anjali Niyogi, MD, MPH, a faculty member at Tulane’s school of medicine, Norris Henderson and William Vail. The Formerly Incarcerated Transitions clinic, took it’s first patients in March 2015. They took home the $5,000 first prize. They plan to use the money to off-set the cost of first visit co-pays and pay for medication.
The $3,000 second place prize went to CALM, Clear Answers To Louisiana Mental Health. Street Medicine New Orleans won the $2,000 third prize. They provide medical care and case management to the city’s homeless population.
REMIiXEcology was the only non medical startup to win a prize. They took home the audience favorite prize. The company connects minorities to the outdoors.